RIDE THE BUS
Friendly Rider buses serve the cities of Wadena and Staples daily from 6 am to 6 pm. We also have daily service in many other communities such as Eagle Bend, Clarissa, Browerville, Verndale, Aldrich, Motley, Bertha, and Hewitt. Hours of operation vary in our secondary cities but we serve each city listed at least once a day.
First time riding? Welcome!
We strive to make riding the bus enjoyable and convenient. Once you try it, we know you will see how easy it is to ride with us.
Here's how to ride the bus step-by-step:
- Schedule your trip by calling (218) 631-5730 or schedule online. Scheduling in advance (at least 2 hours ahead) will help us shorten your wait times for pick up and drop off.
- Be ready at least 15 minutes before your pick up time at your pick up location.
- Be ready to board with exact change or a valid ticket or pass. If you need to purchase tickets or a pass, please have your money ready when you board.
- As the bus approaches, Stay back from the curb and wait until the bus comes to a complete stop. If you need to use a boarding ramp or lift, just ask the operator.
- Board and pay your fare. Find a seat and place your belongings with you.
- When you arrive at your destination, gather all your personal items and leave through the main door. If you need to use the lift or need assistance, the driver will help you.
Ready to Ride?
You can schedule your trip and purchase tickets or passes all online. No muss, no fuss.
RULES FOR RIDING
Riders have responsibilities, too. The following rules are enforced by Friendly Rider personnel and carry a penalty up to $250 and/or exclusion from the transit system
FARE IS FAIR
A valid ticket, pass or correct cash fare is required on Friendly Rider. Without it, you could be fined up to $250, excluded from the system or arrested.
NO-SHOWS ARE NO-GOS
Make sure to cancel your ride if your plans change. You may call (218) 631-5730 24-hours a day to leave a message for trip changes. If you schedule a ride and don't get on within 3 minutes of the bus' arrival time, you are considered a no-show. If you have 3 no-shows, you may be suspended from riding the bus for 30 days.
TAKE A STAND
Move for seniors and people with disabilities.
In the priority seating area by the door, you are required to move for seniors and people with disabilities. They need that seat more than you do! (It’s okay to use this area as long as it is not occupied or needed.)
KEEP YOUR COOL
Don’t threaten or intimidate riders or operators.
It’s unlawful to threaten the safety of a rider, the driver, or interfere with the movement of a bus.
DO NOT DISTURB
Don’t be so loud that you disturb others.
Everyone deserves a comfortable ride. Excessive noise is not allowed on Friendly Rider.
Don’t block the aisles or doors.
If you have a bag or bike, make sure it’s not blocking the aisle or doorway. On buses with steps, strollers must be folded after boarding.
If you bring a pet, keep it in a closed carrier.
Unless it’s a service animal, your pet must be kept in a carrier.
Eating is not allowed on Friendly Rider vehicles, but you can bring food and drinks on board in closed containers.
Smoking is prohibited on buses and transit centers. If you smoke while waiting for the bus, be considerate of your fellow riders by moving away from the bus stop.
Need more information?
We want to help! Feel free to check our Frequent Asked Questions page for answers or send us a message with your questions.